Sunday 15 May 2011

God's Word for the Weekdays from May 16th 2011

   Whoever has seen me has seen the Father.
 

May 21, 2011
Saturday of the Fourth Week of Easter

Reading 1
Acts 13:44-52

On the following sabbath
almost the whole city
gathered to hear the word of the Lord.
When the Jews saw the crowds, they were filled with jealousy
and with violent abuse contradicted what Paul said.
Both Paul and Barnabas spoke out boldly and said,
“It was necessary that the word of God be spoken to you first,
but since you reject it
and condemn yourselves as unworthy of eternal life,
we now turn to the Gentiles.
For so the Lord has commanded us,
I have made you a light to the Gentiles,
that you may be an instrument of salvation
to the ends of the earth.

The Gentiles were delighted when they heard this
and glorified the word of the Lord.
All who were destined for eternal life came to believe,
and the word of the Lord continued to spread
through the whole region.
The Jews, however, incited the women of prominence who were worshipers
and the leading men of the city,
stirred up a persecution against Paul and Barnabas,
and expelled them from their territory.
So they shook the dust from their feet in protest against them
and went to Iconium.

The disciples were filled with joy and the Holy Spirit.

The apostles preached to the Jews and so did Paul. It was only the Jews in town after town rejected them that they turned to the gentiles and the Christian religion  became a gentile Church. In this way God’s plan was fulfilled.

Responsorial Psalm
R. (3cd)  All the ends of the earth have seen the saving power of God.
or:
R. Alleluia.
Sing to the LORD a new song,
for he has done wondrous deeds;
His right hand has won victory for him,
his holy arm.

Gospel
Jesus said to his disciples:
“If you know me, then you will also know my Father.
From now on you do know him and have seen him.”
Philip said to Jesus,
“Master, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us.”
Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you for so long a time
and you still do not know me, Philip?
Whoever has seen me has seen the Father.
How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?
Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me?
The words that I speak to you I do not speak on my own.
The Father who dwells in me is doing his works.
Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me,
or else, believe because of the works themselves.
Amen, amen, I say to you,
whoever believes in me will do the works that I do,
and will do greater ones than these,
because I am going to the Father.
And whatever you ask in my name, I will do,
so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it.”

‘Nothing grows under the banyan tree’. Many leaders do not allow others to grow for fear that they will surpass them. Jesus is not like that. As the Father is Love so Jesus is Love. He wants us to grow. He wants us to surpass him in doing mighty works for his Father. The works we do and which are greater than those of Jesus are for the glory of the Father and not for our name and fame. We are not to cultivate our ego. Our work must be according to the mind of the Father and done with the pure intention of bringing people to him. He must increase and we must decrease. We should have no desire but the glory of God. Who are you working for? Can you forget your ego and surrender yourself to him and so only do what he wants you to do?

May 20, 2011
Friday of the Fourth Week of Easter

Reading 1
Acts 13:26-33

When Paul came to Antioch in Pisidia, he said in the synagogue:
“My brothers, children of the family of Abraham,
and those others among you who are God-fearing,
to us this word of salvation has been sent.
The inhabitants of Jerusalem and their leaders failed to recognize him,
and by condemning him they fulfilled the oracles of the prophets
that are read sabbath after sabbath.
For even though they found no grounds for a death sentence,
they asked Pilate to have him put to death,
and when they had accomplished all that was written about him,
they took him down from the tree and placed him in a tomb.
But God raised him from the dead,
and for many days he appeared to those
who had come up with him from Galilee to Jerusalem.
These are now his witnesses before the people.
We ourselves are proclaiming this good news to you
that what God promised our fathers
he has brought to fulfillment for us, their children, by raising up Jesus,
as it is written in the second psalm,
You are my Son; this day I have begotten you.


The proclamation that Paul makes is the same as that of Peter on Pentecost Day. It is the heart of our Faith. The Christian Faith and Religion is Jesus. He is not dead but alive and through our faith we can meet him. To know, love and serve Jesus is our Christian Religion.



Responsorial Psalm

R. (7bc) You are my Son; this day I have begotten you.
or:
R. Alleluia.
“I myself have set up my king
on Zion, my holy mountain.”
I will proclaim the decree of the LORD:
The LORD said to me, “You are my Son;
this day I have begotten you.”



Gospel

Jesus said to his disciples:
“Do not let your hearts be troubled.
You have faith in God; have faith also in me.
In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places.
If there were not,
would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you?
And if I go and prepare a place for you,
I will come back again and take you to myself,
so that where I am you also may be.
Where I am going you know the way.”
Thomas said to him,
“Master, we do not know where you are going;
how can we know the way?”
Jesus said to him, “I am the way and the truth and the life.
No one comes to the Father except through me.”



“There are many rooms in my Father’s house.” Jesus is ‘from above”. He doesn’t have the words to describe his Father’s house to us who are “from below.” But that is our true home. We have been chosen from before the foundation of the world to be holy and perfect in Christ Jesus in order to live with God the Father. We are now on the way home. “We don’t know the way” says Thomas. “I am the Way”. Once again, to live in intimacy with Jesus now is to live with God. In as far as we live with Jesus now, we have reached home. Like St. Paul, to make Jesus our life is to give meaning to our life. We will not find true peace unless in Jesus. Do you want to cultivate intimacy with Jesus now? “Now” is so important. It is all we have.

May 18, 2011
Wednesday of the Fourth Week of Easter


Reading 1
Acts 12:24—13:5a

The word of God continued to spread and grow.
After Barnabas and Saul completed their relief mission,
they returned to Jerusalem,
taking with them John, who is called Mark.

Now there were in the Church at Antioch prophets and teachers:
Barnabas, Symeon who was called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene,
Manaen who was a close friend of Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.
While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said,
“Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul
for the work to which I have called them.”
Then, completing their fasting and prayer,
they laid hands on them and sent them off.

So they, sent forth by the Holy Spirit,
went down to Seleucia
and from there sailed to Cyprus.
When they arrived in Salamis,
they proclaimed the word of God in the Jewish synagogues. 


Antioch was the second centre of the Christian community. In Jerusalem were the Twelve. In Antioch there were prophets. Paul has not yet come into his own. He is named last. It is when they go on mission that he will become the great apostle of Jesus. The Church is not yet very structured and the members are sensitive to the inspirations of the Spirit. Barnabas and Paul are set aside for the work of proclaiming the Gospel and blessed and prayed over they set out.




Responsorial Psalm

R. (4) O God, let all the nations praise you!
or:
R. Alleluia.
May God have pity on us and bless us;
may he let his face shine upon us.
So may your way be known upon earth;
among all nations, your salvation.



Gospel

Jesus cried out and said,
“Whoever believes in me believes not only in me
but also in the one who sent me,
and whoever sees me sees the one who sent me.
I came into the world as light,
so that everyone who believes in me might not remain in darkness.
And if anyone hears my words and does not observe them,
I do not condemn him,
for I did not come to condemn the world but to save the world.
Whoever rejects me and does not accept my words
has something to judge him: the word that I spoke,
it will condemn him on the last day,
because I did not speak on my own,
but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and speak.
And I know that his commandment is eternal life.
So what I say, I say as the Father told me.”


No one has seen God. He lives ‘in unapproachable light’. We have seen God because ‘the Word became a human being’ Jesus is the visible likeness of the God no human can see. So now there is only one way to know God, we must look at Jesus. No one is without fault who deliberately refuses to look at Jesus and study his Word. We find the image and Word of Jesus in the Gospels. By looking at Jesus we can see what God does and how he acts. We can see his likes and dislikes. We can discover his attitudes towards the problems of daily life. Jesus in his words and actions is the perfect manifestation of God. If I refuse to study him, how can I be without blame?  Do you want to make the effort to know the human Jesus through the Gospels and so know God?

May 17, 2011
Tuesday of the Fourth Week of Easter


Reading 1
Acts 11:19-26

Those who had been scattered by the persecution
that arose because of Stephen
went as far as Phoenicia, Cyprus, and Antioch,
preaching the word to no one but Jews.
There were some Cypriots and Cyrenians among them, however,
who came to Antioch and began to speak to the Greeks as well,
proclaiming the Lord Jesus.
The hand of the Lord was with them
and a great number who believed turned to the Lord.
The news about them reached the ears of the Church in Jerusalem,
and they sent Barnabas to go to Antioch.
When he arrived and saw the grace of God,
he rejoiced and encouraged them all
to remain faithful to the Lord in firmness of heart,
for he was a good man, filled with the Holy Spirit and faith.
And a large number of people was added to the Lord.
Then he went to Tarsus to look for Saul,
and when he had found him he brought him to Antioch.
For a whole year they met with the Church
and taught a large number of people,
and it was in Antioch that the disciples
were first called Christians.


Peter had under divine pressure welcomed a gentile into the fellowship of the believers. Now in Antioch we see how the Hellenist Christians who had fled Jerusalem because of the persecution began to preach and proclaim Jesus to Greek speaking gentiles. A great mission to the gentiles is now beginning. Though of a different culture from the Hebrew Christians in Jerusalem, they preach the same Lord and share fellowship. The Christian leaders in Jerusalem come to hear of what is going on in Antioch and they send Barnabas to check on it. He is ‘a good man, full of the Hoy Spirit’ and he approves. He encourages them to continue. He then does one of the most important things in the history of the Church. He goes in search of Paul and brings him in out of the cold. Paul will be the one chosen by God to really establish the Church among the nations both numerically and theologically. It was in Antioch we learn that the follows of Jesus were called Christian, the name they will be called throughout the ages.



Responsorial Psalm

R. (117:1a) All you nations, praise the Lord.
or:
R. Alleluia.
His foundation upon the holy mountains
the LORD loves:
The gates of Zion,
more than any dwelling of Jacob.
Glorious things are said of you,
O city of God!



Gospel

The feast of the Dedication was taking place in Jerusalem.
It was winter.
And Jesus walked about in the temple area on the Portico of Solomon.
So the Jews gathered around him and said to him,
“How long are you going to keep us in suspense?
If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.”
Jesus answered them, “I told you and you do not believe.
The works I do in my Father’s name testify to me.
But you do not believe, because you are not among my sheep.
My sheep hear my voice;
I know them, and they follow me.
I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish.
No one can take them out of my hand.
My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all,
and no one can take them out of the Father’s hand.
The Father and I are one.”


Jesus is our Saviour. We do not and cannot save ourselves. We cannot keep free from the influence of Satan, evil and sin, just as we cannot keep free from bodily sickness. Only Jesus can heal us and save us. What must we do? We must be his sheep. We must allow him to lead us. We need then to surrender to him in love. He will teach through his Church and his Holy Spirit. .Then no one can pluck us from his hand. We are safe. If we want to stay close to Jesus we must spend time with him each day and we must have him in our hearts throughout the day and night. He must become our ever present companion through prayer. Because it is through faith, then it takes effort. Do you make the effort to be his sheep and spend time daily with him?


May 16, 2011
Monday of the Fourth Week of Easter


Reading 1
Acts 11:1-18

The Apostles and the brothers who were in Judea
heard that the Gentiles too had accepted the word of God.
So when Peter went up to Jerusalem
the circumcised believers confronted him, saying,
‘You entered the house of uncircumcised people and ate with them.”
Peter began and explained it to them step by step, saying,
“I was at prayer in the city of Joppa
when in a trance I had a vision,
something resembling a large sheet coming down,
lowered from the sky by its four corners, and it came to me.
Looking intently into it,
I observed and saw the four-legged animals of the earth,
the wild beasts, the reptiles, and the birds of the sky.
I also heard a voice say to me, ‘Get up, Peter. Slaughter and eat.’
But I said, ‘Certainly not, sir,
because nothing profane or unclean has ever entered my mouth.’
But a second time a voice from heaven answered,
‘What God has made clean, you are not to call profane.’
This happened three times,
and then everything was drawn up again into the sky.
Just then three men appeared at the house where we were,
who had been sent to me from Caesarea.
The Spirit told me to accompany them without discriminating.
These six brothers also went with me,
and we entered the man’s house.
He related to us how he had seen the angel standing in his house, saying,
‘Send someone to Joppa and summon Simon, who is called Peter,
who will speak words to you
by which you and all your household will be saved.’
As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them
as it had upon us at the beginning,
and I remembered the word of the Lord, how he had said,
‘John baptized with water
but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.’
If then God gave them the same gift he gave to us
when we came to believe in the Lord Jesus Christ,
who was I to be able to hinder God?”
When they heard this,
they stopped objecting and glorified God, saying,
“God has then granted life-giving repentance to the Gentiles too.”

This is the first major problem in the history of the Church which could have wrecked the Church even in its very beginning. Jesus and the disciples were Jews and wedded to the Law of Moses and the Israelite culture. Even after believing in Jesus they had continued to be Jews. But what of gentiles who became believers. The first Jewish Christians thought that they should become Jews first and then be baptised. God has other designs and it needs a vision to persuade Peter. He then accepts Cornelius, the Roman centurion. He needs to explain himself to Jewish believers. When he describes the existential situation of his vision and the coming of the Spirit the opposition is silenced for the time being. It will become a burning issue in the early Church.

Responsorial Psalm
R. (see 3a) Athirst is my soul for the living God.
or:
R. Alleluia.
As the hind longs for the running waters,
so my soul longs for you, O God.
Athirst is my soul for God, the living God.
When shall I go and behold the face of God?

Gospel
Jesus said:
“I am the good shepherd.
A good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.
A hired man, who is not a shepherd
and whose sheep are not his own,
sees a wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away,
and the wolf catches and scatters them.
This is because he works for pay and has no concern for the sheep.
I am the good shepherd,
and I know mine and mine know me,
just as the Father knows me and I know the Father;
and I will lay down my life for the sheep.
I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold.
These also I must lead, and they will hear my voice,
and there will be one flock, one shepherd.
This is why the Father loves me,
because I lay down my life in order to take it up again.
No one takes it from me, but I lay it down on my own.
I have power to lay it down, and power to take it up again.
This command I have received from my Father.”

Jesus alone is the key to human life. Without him we don’t really live. We live but not fully. To have abundant life, we need Jesus. Of ourselves we are like sheep wandering around here and there. But Jesus is ever present and calls us by name. We need to listen and answer. We listen to something in life – the cravings of our hearts for things or persons, the call of the world to seek the ‘good life’, the invitations of other spiritual teachers, but Jesus alone is the Way. It is through him alone that we will find the happiness that our soul longs for. But how are we to find him? We must believe his Word, that he alone gives abundant life. Then we must search for him daily in the Gospel and in prayer. Jesus responds to our earnestness. How earnest are you to find him?

No comments:

Post a Comment