Sunday 14 June 2020

To have the mind of Christ Jesus.


God speaks to us each day through the readings from the Holy Bible. These are chosen under the inspiration of God’s Spirit and provided for us by the Church founded and lead by the Spirit of Jesus.
You will find them here. If we take time daily to read, understand and in silence to pray from our heart, Jesus, through his Spirit, will nourish us and our life will be transformed.
Let us ask ourselves: what is God saying to me today through these readings?
May the Spirit of God be with you.

Monday 15 June 2020
To have the mind of Christ Jesus.
 Ps 26: 7, 9
O Lord, hear my voice, for I have called to you; be my help.
Do not abandon or forsake me, O God, my Saviour!



Prayer
Father, strength of those who hope in you,
graciously hear our prayers,
and, since without you, we can do nothing,
grant us always the help of your grace.
May we always follow your commands
and so please you by our resolve and our deeds.
We make our prayer through your Son,
Christ Jesus our Lord.
____________________

First reading
1 Kings 21:1-16 ·
Naboth has been stoned to death.
Naboth the Jezreelite had a vineyard in Jezreel next to the palace of Ahab, king of Samaria. Ahab said to Naboth, “Give me your vineyard to be my vegetable garden, since it is close by, next to my house. I will give you a better vineyard in exchange, or, if you prefer, I will give you its value in money.” Naboth answered him, “The Lord forbid that I should give you my ancestral heritage.” Ahab went home disturbed and angry at the answer Naboth the Jezreelite had made to him: “I will not give you my ancestral heritage.” Lying down on his bed, he turned away from food and would not eat.
His wife Jezebel came to him and said to him, “Why are you so angry that you will not eat?” He answered her, “Because I spoke to Naboth the Jezreelite and said to him, ‘Sell me your vineyard, or, if you prefer, I will give you a vineyard in exchange.’ But he refused to let me have his vineyard.” His wife Jezebel said to him, “A fine ruler over Israel you are indeed! Get up. Eat and be cheerful. I will obtain the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite for you.”
So she wrote letters in Ahab’s name and, having sealed them with his seal, sent them to the elders and to the nobles who lived in the same city with Naboth. This is what she wrote in the letters: “Proclaim a fast and set Naboth at the head of the people. Next, get two scoundrels to face him and accuse him of having cursed God and king. Then take him out and stone him to death.” His fellow citizens –the elders and nobles who dwelt in his city – did as Jezebel had ordered them in writing, through the letters she had sent them. They proclaimed a fast and placed Naboth at the head of the people. Two scoundrels came in and confronted him with the accusation, “Naboth has cursed God and king.” And they led him out of the city and stoned him to death. Then they sent the information to Jezebel that Naboth had been stoned to death.
When Jezebel learned that Naboth had been stoned to death, she said to Ahab, “Go on, take possession of the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite that he refused to sell you, because Naboth is not alive, but dead.” On hearing that Naboth was dead, Ahab started off on his way down to the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite, to take possession of it. THE WORD OF THE LORD

Prayerful reflection
The world we live is an evil place. The powerful oppress the weak as in today’s reading. If the weak try to resist, they are dealt with as was Naboth.
The problems we face are not sent by God. They are the result of evil people. This is how sin is the cause of all the sufferings, we endure.
God is the judge of all people. God’s people must stand up and defend those who are unjustly oppressed by the rich and powerful.
Elijah will hear of this crime and he will not remain silent. Nor should we. Elijah will not be afraid to condemn the king to his face for the evil he has done.
Do you take the part, as far as you can, of the weak and oppressed, the orphan, the widow and refugee, anyone who is suffering at the hands of others?

Psalm (A prayer of one suffering injustice at the hands of others)
Psalm 5:2-3ab, 4b-6a, 6b-7
Lord, listen to my groaning.

Hearken to my words, O Lord,
attend to my sighing.
Heed my call for help,
my king and my God!
Lord, listen to my groaning.

At dawn I bring my plea expectantly before you.
For you, O God, delight not in wickedness;
no evil man remains with you;
the arrogant may not stand in your sight.
Lord, listen to my groaning.

You hate all evildoers.
You destroy all who speak falsehood;
The bloodthirsty and the deceitful
the Lord abhors.
Lord, listen to my groaning.

Alleluia, alleluia.
A lamp to my feet is your word,
a light to my path.
Alleluia, alleluia.



Gospel
Matthew 5:38-42
But I say to you, offer no resistance to one who is evil.
Jesus said to his disciples: “You have heard that it was said, An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. But I say to you, offer no resistance to one who is evil. When someone strikes you on your right cheek, turn the other one to him as well. If anyone wants to go to law with you over your tunic, hand him your cloak as well. Should anyone press you into service for one mile, go with him for two miles. Give to the one who asks of you, and do not turn your back on one who wants to borrow.” THE GOSPEL OF THE LORD.
Prayerful reflection
The law of Moses allowed retaliation, but only to the extent of the original injury. One tooth for another, one eye for another but no more. As Mahatma Gandhi comments, the result of this law is that in the end, everyone will be blind and toothless. Jesus opens up a new vista in human relationships. It is a magnanimous attitude in imitation of the attitude of God revealed in Jesus. It is not that we become a ‘door mat’ for everyone to treat us as they like. When Jesus himself was struck on the face by a mere soldier, he did not let it pass without condemning the action. But he refused to repay in the same coin. His was the way of non-violence. We are to love our enemies. We will not approve of their sin, but we will love them. Love for them involves doing good to them, e.g. walking another mile. Non-violence, means we will not resist, and so offer the other cheek. Jesus did exactly this in the Passion.
What must we do, in order to be like Jesus who did not slavishly undergo his Passion, but freely underwent it for our sake?
Do you see religion as embracing God’s attitude towards human beings, as revealed in Jesus?

Ps 26: 4
There is one thing I ask of the Lord, only this do I seek:
to live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life.


Prayer
Father, from the beginning you entrusted
your Word to your Church. Grant that we may
always listen to your Church and so be one
in our understanding of the Scriptures.
We make our prayer through your Son,
Christ Jesus our Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment