Tuesday 2 November 2010

Reflections for the 31st week in Ordinary Time


I am the resurrection and the life.
Those who believe in me will live,
even though they die.
those who live and believe in me
will never die.
November 3, 2010
Wednesday of the Thirty-first Week in Ordinary Time

Reading 1
My beloved, obedient as you have always been,
not only when I am present but all the more now when I am absent,
work out your salvation with fear and trembling.
For God is the one who, for his good purpose,
works in you both to desire and to work.
Do everything without grumbling or questioning,
that you may be blameless and innocent,
children of God without blemish
in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation,
among whom you shine like lights in the world,
as you hold on to the word of life,
so that my boast for the day of Christ may be
that I did not run in vain or labor in vain.
But, even if I am poured out as a libation
upon the sacrificial service of your faith,
I rejoice and share my joy with all of you.
In the same way you also should rejoice and share your joy with me.

Responsorial Psalm
R. (1a) The Lord is my light and my salvation.
The LORD is my light and my salvation;
whom should I fear?
The LORD is my life’s refuge;
of whom should I be afraid?

Gospel
Great crowds were traveling with Jesus,
and he turned and addressed them,
“If anyone comes to me without hating his father and mother,
wife and children, brothers and sisters,
and even his own life,
he cannot be my disciple.
Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after me
cannot be my disciple.
Which of you wishing to construct a tower
does not first sit down and calculate the cost
to see if there is enough for its completion?
Otherwise, after laying the foundation
and finding himself unable to finish the work
the onlookers should laugh at him and say,
‘This one began to build but did not have the resources to finish.’
Or what king marching into battle would not first sit down
and decide whether with ten thousand troops
he can successfully oppose another king
advancing upon him with twenty thousand troops?
But if not, while he is still far away,
he will send a delegation to ask for peace terms.
In the same way,
everyone of you who does not renounce all his possessions cannot be my disciple.”
There are many following him on the road to Jerusalem. Do they know what it means to be a disciple? Do we? Jesus turns to the crowds and he speaks to them, not to just a select few. Anyone who follows Jesus must hate his father and mother and everyone including himself. Jesus is not contradicting the Fourth Commandment. What is he saying? It is clear from the rest of his Gospel he means ‘hate’, not ‘love less’.  Jesus is stressing the First Commandment, to love God with all our heart. We must love Jesus with all our heart, not partially. To follow him we cannot love anyone with a love that seeks to selfishly satisfy ourselves. We renounce a selfish love. We give ourselves totally to him. We must daily renounce our own wishes to love and please the Lord. How far are you a disciple?


November 4, 2010
Memorial of Saint Charles Borromeo, bishop

Reading 1
Brothers and sisters:
We are the circumcision,
we who worship through the Spirit of God,
who boast in Christ Jesus and do not put our confidence in flesh,
although I myself have grounds for confidence even in the flesh.
If anyone else thinks he can be confident in flesh, all the more can I.
Circumcised on the eighth day,
of the race of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin,
a Hebrew of Hebrew parentage,
in observance of the law a Pharisee,
in zeal I persecuted the Church,
in righteousness based on the law I was blameless.
But whatever gains I had,
these I have come to consider a loss because of Christ
.
More than that, I even consider everything as a loss
because of the supreme good of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.
Paul tells us that we are to always live in the Spirit and whenever we pray we are to pray in and through the Spirit. We are not to put any trust in anything or anyone including our own efforts but are to rely on Jesus. We are to ‘boast’ that he alone is our Saviour. He saves us when we are able to surrender to him and allow him to lead us. To know Jesus, he says, is the greatest treasure on earth. He gladly gives up everything in order to have a personal and loving relationship with the Lord.
Responsorial Psalm
R. (3b) Let hearts rejoice who search for the Lord.
or:
R. Alleluia.
Sing to him, sing his praise,
proclaim all his wondrous deeds.
Glory in his holy name;
rejoice, O hearts that seek the LORD!

Gospel
The tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to listen to Jesus,
but the Pharisees and scribes began to complain, saying,
“This man welcomes sinners and eats with them.”
So Jesus addressed this parable to them.
“What man among you having a hundred sheep and losing one of them
would not leave the ninety-nine in the desert
and go after the lost one until he finds it?
And when he does find it,
he sets it on his shoulders with great joy
and, upon his arrival home,
he calls together his friends and neighbors and says to them,
‘Rejoice with me because I have found my lost sheep.’
I tell you, in just the same way
there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents
than over ninety-nine righteous people
who have no need of repentance.
“Or what woman having ten coins and losing one
would not light a lamp and sweep the house,
searching carefully until she finds it?
And when she does find it,
she calls together her friends and neighbors
and says to them,
‘Rejoice with me because I have found the coin that I lost.’
In just the same way, I tell you,
there will be rejoicing among the angels of God
over one sinner who repents.”
The outcasts of society come to Jesus and he welcomes them. They are dishonest and sinners but Jesus sits and eats with them. He doesn’t tell them to repent first and then come. He loves them whether they repent or not. He wants them to repent because he loves them and wants them to be happy for ever in eternal life, but his love is not dependent on their repenting. He feels by showing his love, they may begin to change and leave their sinfulness which is destructive. He loves you too whether you repent or not.  Are you the lost sheep come home? Or,  the lost coin that has appeared?  Your return causes the Lord who died for you immense joy and is your eternal salvation. If you respond to grace you can return and you can be found. Do you want to cause cheers in heaven?
 Friday 5th November
Philippians 3:17-4:1
Brothers, be united in imitating me. Keep your eyes fixed on those who act according to the example you have from me. 18 For there are so many people of whom I have often warned you, and now I warn you again with tears in my eyes, who behave like the enemies of Christ's cross. 19 They are destined to be lost; their god is the stomach; they glory in what they should think shameful, since their minds are set on earthly things. 20 But our homeland is in heaven and it is from there that we are expecting a Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21 who will transfigure the wretched body of ours into the mould of his glorious body, through the working of the power which he has, even to bring all things under his mastery. So then, my brothers and dear friends whom I miss so much, my joy and my crown, hold firm in the Lord, dear friends.
Paul instructs us to follow him and other saints. The saints are models for us of the Christian life. Modern saints are then very important. The greatest model of all is the Virgin Mary who is the perfect ‘handmaid of the Lord’, who is blessed ‘because she believed the Word’ spoken to her. She followed her Son even to Calvary and proclaimed the Gospel in her Magnificat. She lived the Beatitudes and loved the Church. Paul condemns those Christians of his day who made keeping the Law and all its dietary prescriptions their religion. We should remember that our faith is not just keeping laws and rules but loving Jesus with all our heart. Keeping laws must come from a heart full of love.   We don’t belong to this world. We should look forward to the coming of Jesus who will transform our bodies into ones like his.

Gospel Luke 16:1-8
1 He also said to his disciples, 'There was a rich man and he had a steward who was denounced to him for being wasteful with his property. 2 He called for the man and said, "What is this I hear about you? Draw me up an account of your stewardship because you are not to be my steward any longer." 3 Then the steward said to himself, "Now that my master is taking the stewardship from me, what am I to do? Dig? I am not strong enough. Go begging? I should be too ashamed. 4 Ah, I know what I will do to make sure that when I am dismissed from office there will be some to welcome me into their homes." 5 'Then he called his master's debtors one by one. To the first he said, "How much do you owe my master?" 6 "One hundred measures of oil," he said. The steward said, "Here, take your bond; sit down and quickly write fifty." 7 To another he said, "And you, sir, how much do you owe?" "One hundred measures of wheat," he said. The steward said, "Here, take your bond and write eighty." 8 'The master praised the dishonest steward for his astuteness. For the children of this world are more astute in dealing with their own kind than are the children of light.'
Jesus doesn’t praise dishonesty. He holds up as a model the cleverness of this unjust steward. He knows he is going to lose his job. While he has it, with it he makes friends who will support him when he is on the street. Jesus praises him for acting with shrewdness to safeguard his future. Worldly people work harder for their ambitions than believers for the Kingdom of God. We know life is temporary, that at death the real life begins but are we bothered very much to safeguard our eternal future? To safeguard his future he made friends. To safeguard our eternal life we should now make a Friend. If we concentrate on making Jesus our Friend then he will support us when this life slips from our hands. He will make sure that all is well. Are you anxious to make Jesus you Friend, Saviour and Lord?
Saturday 31st week in Ordinary Time II
Philippians 4:10-19
 As for me, I am full of joy in the Lord, now that at last your consideration for me has blossomed again; though I recognise that you really did have consideration before, but had no opportunity to show it. 11 I do not say this because I have lacked anything; I have learnt to manage with whatever I have. 12 I know how to live modestly, and I know how to live luxuriously too: in every way now I have mastered the secret of all conditions: full stomach and empty stomach, plenty and poverty. 13 There is nothing I cannot do in the One who strengthens me. 14 All the same, it was good of you to share with me in my hardships. 15 In the early days of the gospel, as you of Philippi well know, when I left Macedonia, no church other than yourselves made common account with me in the matter of expenditure and receipts. You were the only ones; 16 and what is more, you have twice sent me what I needed in Thessalonica. 17 It is not the gift that I value most; what I value is the interest that is mounting up in your account. 18 I have all that I need and more: I am fully provided, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the offering that you sent, a pleasing smell, the sacrifice which is acceptable and pleasing to God. 19 And my God will fulfil all your needs out of the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.

Jesus had said that he who preaches the Gospel should live by the Gospel for the labourer is worthy of his wages. Paul thanks the Philippians for their generous support which is not only of money but more so of love. A bond of affection had grown up between the Philippians and Paul and he speaks openly and with fondness. He expresses two of his deep convictions in this passage. “There is nothing I cannot master with the help of the One who gives me strength”. So he can always rejoice. Do we have the same relationship and trust in Jesus? They have helped him materially in the work of spreading the Gospel and so “in return my God will fulfill all your needs, in Christ Jesus, as lavishly as only God can”. When we support those who work for the Gospel, God will fulfill our needs too.
Luke16:9-15
9 'And so I tell you this: use money, tainted as it is, to win you friends, and thus make sure that when it fails you, they will welcome you into eternal dwellings. 10 Anyone who is trustworthy in little things is trustworthy in great; anyone who is dishonest in little things is dishonest in great. 11 If then you are not trustworthy with money, that tainted thing, who will trust you with genuine riches? 12 And if you are not trustworthy with what is not yours, who will give you what is your very own? 13 'No servant can be the slave of two masters: he will either hate the first and love the second, or be attached to the first and despise the second. You cannot be the slave both of God and of money.' 14 The Pharisees, who loved money, heard all this and jeered at him. 15 He said to them, 'You are the very ones who pass yourselves off as upright in people's sight, but God knows your hearts. For what is highly esteemed in human eyes is loathsome in the sight of God.
Money, says. Paul, is the root of all evil. We can easily become its slave, without realizing it. It can also be the source of good. It depends on how we use it. By sharing it with those in need we make friends. We must share not only money   but our time and ourselves in love. Money is not really ours. Willy-nilly we will one day lose it. We must then use it wisely to win friends for the day when we have lost it and need support. This is the value of helping those in need. Almsgiving pays great dividends. The affairs of this world are insignificant compared with the other life, but nonetheless important. If we know how to use that which we will lose, then we will be given that which will be ours forever. May we be preserved from love for money. Are you?






No comments:

Post a Comment