Sunday 12 June 2011

God's Word for the weekdays from 13th June

  Seek first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness,
and all these things will be given you besides
.


 

June 18, 2011
Saturday of the Eleventh Week
in Ordinary Time

Reading 1
2 Cor 12:1-10
Brothers and sisters:
I must boast; not that it is profitable,
but I will go on to visions and revelations of the Lord.
I know a man in Christ who, fourteen years ago
(whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows),
was caught up to the third heaven.
And I know that this man
(whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows)
was caught up into Paradise and heard ineffable things,
which no one may utter.
About this man I will boast,
but about myself I will not boast, except about my weaknesses.
Although if I should wish to boast, I would not be foolish,
for I would be telling the truth.
But I refrain, so that no one may think more of me
than what he sees in me or hears from me
because of the abundance of the revelations.
Therefore, that I might not become too elated,
a thorn in the flesh was given to me, an angel of Satan,
to beat me, to keep me from being too elated.
Three times I begged the Lord about this, that it might leave me,
but he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you,
for power is made perfect in weakness.”
I will rather boast most gladly of my weaknesses,
in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me.
Therefore, I am content with weaknesses, insults,
hardships, persecutions, and constraints,
for the sake of Christ;
for when I am weak, then I am strong.


“My grace is sufficient for you.” For the person of faith this word is sufficient. If we surrender continuously to the Lord Jesus the his grace is sufficient for us in the long run to overcome everything negative in our lives. The key is to surrender with sincerity, humility and total transparency day by day in prayer to him. It is then that our weakness becomes the source of strength – it is the strength of Jesus at work in us.

Responsorial Psalm
R. (9a) Taste and see the goodness of the Lord.
The angel of the LORD encamps
around those who fear him, and delivers them.
Taste and see how good the LORD is;
blessed the man who takes refuge in him.

Gospel
Jesus said to his disciples:
“No one can serve two masters.
He will either hate one and love the other,
or be devoted to one and despise the other.
You cannot serve God and mammon.
“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life,
what you will eat or drink,
or about your body, what you will wear.
Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?
Look at the birds in the sky;
they do not sow or reap, they gather nothing into barns,
yet your heavenly Father feeds them.
Are not you more important than they?
Can any of you by worrying add a single moment to your life-span?
Why are you anxious about clothes?
Learn from the way the wild flowers grow.
They do not work or spin.
But I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor
was clothed like one of them.
If God so clothes the grass of the field,
which grows today and is thrown into the oven tomorrow,
will he not much more provide for you, O you of little faith?
So do not worry and say, ‘What are we to eat?’
or ‘What are we to drink?’ or ‘What are we to wear?’
All these things the pagans seek.
Your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.
But seek first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness,
and all these things will be given you besides.
Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself.
Sufficient for a day is its own evil.”

Do you believe that you have a Father who loves you and is all powerful to help you become the person he dreamt of when he created you? Then if you do, why are you so anxious about anything in your life? Is he not there for you? Will he not see to everything? I wonder how many of us have this kind of faith. But this is what Jesus is telling us today. It is not for us to worry about our material and physical needs, nor even about our spiritual ones. Our Father will look after all these, Jesus says. All you have to do, he says, is search for him with all your strength and practice the justice that he loves. You must live for him with everything that you are. Have you the wisdom to do this and the courage to relax in his arms?
June 17, 2011
Friday of the Eleventh Week in Ordinary Time

Reading 1
2 Cor 11:18, 21-30
Brothers and sisters:
Since many boast according to the flesh, I too will boast.
To my shame I say that we were too weak!

But what anyone dares to boast of
(I am speaking in foolishness)
I also dare.
Are they Hebrews? So am I.
Are they children of Israel? So am I.
Are they descendants of Abraham? So am I.
Are they ministers of Christ?
(I am talking like an insane person).
I am still more, with far greater labors,
far more imprisonments, far worse beatings,
and numerous brushes with death.
Five times at the hands of the Jews
I received forty lashes minus one.
Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned,
three times I was shipwrecked,
I passed a night and a day on the deep;
on frequent journeys, in dangers from rivers,
dangers from robbers, dangers from my own race,
dangers from Gentiles, dangers in the city,
dangers in the wilderness, dangers at sea,
dangers among false brothers;
in toil and hardship, through many sleepless nights,
through hunger and thirst, through frequent fastings,
through cold and exposure.
And apart from these things, there is the daily pressure upon me
of my anxiety for all the churches.
Who is weak, and I am not weak?
Who is led to sin, and I am not indignant?

If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness.
There were converts from Judaism who were teaching that the observance of the Law of Moses was necessary for salvation. Jesus alone was insufficient. These preachers followed Paul and disturbed the faith of his converts. Paul was the champion of Christ in that he insisted and brought the whole Church to realise that we are saved only by the Blood of Christ and that the Law of Moses is now no longer necessary. It is only faith in Jesus. The Judaisers would boast of their pedigree and how they were the true Israelites and this made a great impression on people. Paul then is forced to show how he is also of equal standing. We see in this passage how much he suffered for the Lord Jesus. It is by out actions that we prove who we are.



Responsorial Psalm

R. (see 18b) From all their distress God rescues the just.
I will bless the LORD at all times;
his praise shall be ever in my mouth.
Let my soul glory in the LORD;
the lowly will hear me and be glad.



Gospel

Jesus said to his disciples:
“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth,
where moth and decay destroy, and thieves break in and steal.
But store up treasures in heaven,
where neither moth nor decay destroys, nor thieves break in and steal.
For where your treasure is, there also will your heart be.

“The lamp of the body is the eye.
If your eye is sound, your whole body will be filled with light;
but if your eye is bad, your whole body will be in darkness.
And if the light in you is darkness, how great will the darkness be.”


If you think of treasure in terms of wealth and things, then the light within you is darkened. It is useful to have what we need to live but our treasure must always be persons. Life is relationships and eternal life too. To store up treasure in heaven is not to amass a ‘spiritually fat bank account’, no doubt earned through all kinds of meritorious acts. The clearer your eye is the clearer you will recognize Jesus now in your life and the deeper will be your relationship with him. He is the one who loves you supremely. The treasure in heaven which Jesus exhorts us to earn is the relationship of love with him that we build up here on earth. To live in love with Jesus for ever is the only treasure to long for. The rest is dross. To meet Jesus is life. What do you think?

June 16, 2011
Thursday of the Eleventh Week in Ordinary Time

Reading 1
2 Cor 11:1-11
Brothers and sisters:
If only you would put up with a little foolishness from me!
Please put up with me.
For I am jealous of you with the jealousy of God,
since I betrothed you to one husband
to present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.
But I am afraid that, as the serpent deceived Eve by his cunning,
your thoughts may be corrupted
from a sincere and pure commitment to Christ.
For if someone comes and preaches another Jesus than the one we preached,
or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received
or a different gospel from the one you accepted,
you put up with it well enough.
For I think that I am not in any way inferior to these “superapostles.”
Even if I am untrained in speaking, I am not so in knowledge;
in every way we have made this plain to you in all things.

Did I make a mistake when I humbled myself so that you might be exalted,
because I preached the Gospel of God to you without charge?
I plundered other churches by accepting from them
in order to minister to you.
And when I was with you and in need, I did not burden anyone,
for the brothers who came from Macedonia
supplied my needs.
So I refrained and will refrain from burdening you in any way.
By the truth of Christ in me,
this boast of mine shall not be silenced
in the regions of Achaia.
And why? Because I do not love you?
God knows I do!

The first responsibility of any pastor is to love his flock as Jesus does. Jesus said to Peter, ‘Do you love me’ and on hearing Peter’s declaration of love he then said, three times. ‘Care for my sheep’. In this Paul is our model. All ministry in the Church must flow from our love Jesus which manifests itself  in love for his people. Love can take many forms but it is always kind and never hurtful and always looks to the good of the beloved.


Responsorial Psalm

R. (7a) Your works, O Lord, are justice and truth.
or:
R. Alleluia.
I will give thanks to the LORD with all my heart
in the company and assembly of the just.
Great are the works of the LORD,
exquisite in all their delights.



Gospel

Jesus said to his disciples:
“In praying, do not babble like the pagans,
who think that they will be heard because of their many words.
Do not be like them.
Your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

“This is how you are to pray:

‘Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name,
thy Kingdom come,
thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.’
“If you forgive others their transgressions,
your heavenly Father will forgive you.
But if you do not forgive others,
neither will your Father forgive your transgressions.”

Jesus says prayer is not to be mechanical nor is the amount of prayers we say important. Ours is a personal relationship of children to a beloved Father and to Jesus as our Brother. Prayer is to live out this relationship. Jesus called his Father, Abba – a tender name used by children. We have the privilege of calling God tenderly too. This prayer is the Lord’s Prayer in that he prayed in this way. He invites us to share his prayer. We pray that our Father be glorified, reign and be obeyed. We pray for bread, the bread from heaven, the Body of Christ. We ask God to forgive us our sins. We too must forgive others. Jesus too was weak and prayed to be spared evil. We too pray the same. Jesus stresses that we can only pray this pray if our hearts are open to God by our forgiveness of others. Is yours?

June 15, 2011
Wednesday of the Eleventh Week
in Ordinary Time

Reading 1
2 Cor 9:6-11
Brothers and sisters, consider this:
whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly,
and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.
Each must do as already determined, without sadness or compulsion,
for God loves a cheerful giver.
Moreover, God is able to make every grace abundant for you,
so that in all things, always having all you need,
you may have an abundance for every good work.
As it is written:

He scatters abroad, he gives to the poor;
his righteousness endures forever.

The one who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food
will supply and multiply your seed
and increase the harvest of your righteousness.

You are being enriched in every way for all generosity,
which through us produces thanksgiving to God.


As children of God we are both to imitate our Father in our generosity and trust in him to provide for our needs. There is no fixed rule as to how much we should give to others. This depends on our generosity and trust in God. But Paul tells us that God loves a cheerful giver and he is able to make up for all we need.



Responsorial Psalm

R. (1b) Blessed the man who fears the Lord.
or:
R. Alleluia.
Blessed the man who fears the LORD,
who greatly delights in his commands.
His posterity shall be mighty upon the earth;
the upright generation shall be blessed.



Gospel

Jesus said to his disciples:
“Take care not to perform righteous deeds
in order that people may see them;
otherwise, you will have no recompense from your heavenly Father.
When you give alms, do not blow a trumpet before you,
as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets
to win the praise of others.
Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward.
But when you give alms,
do not let your left hand know what your right is doing,
so that your almsgiving may be secret.
And your Father who sees in secret will repay you.

“When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites,
who love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on street corners
so that others may see them.
Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward.
But when you pray, go to your inner room, close the door,
and pray to your Father in secret.
And your Father who sees in secret will repay you.

“When you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites.
They neglect their appearance,
so that they may appear to others to be fasting.
Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward.
But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face,
so that you may not appear to others to be fasting,
except to your Father who is hidden.
And your Father who sees what is hidden will repay you.”


Jesus is not giving us a rule that we should pray, fast and share out goods in secret but that what we do we should do for God alone and so it doesn’t matter if no one else knows what we do. Nor does it matter if others misunderstand us and think us mean or indulgent just because they do not see our sharing with those in need or our fasting. Since we do all for God alone then it may be necessary to do our praying where everyone can see us, if we live among  unbelieving people. In this way we witness to our belief in Him.

June 14, 2011
Tuesday of the Eleventh Week in Ordinary Time

Reading 1
2 Cor 8:1-9
We want you to know, brothers and sisters, of the grace of God
that has been given to the churches of Macedonia,
for in a severe test of affliction,
the abundance of their joy and their profound poverty
overflowed in a wealth of generosity on their part.
For according to their means, I can testify,
and beyond their means, spontaneously,
they begged us insistently for the favor of taking part
in the service to the holy ones,
and this, not as we expected,
but they gave themselves first to the Lord
and to us through the will of God,
so that we urged Titus that, as he had already begun,
he should also complete for you this gracious act also.
Now as you excel in every respect,
in faith, discourse, knowledge, all earnestness,
and in the love we have for you,
may you excel in this gracious act also.

I say this not by way of command,
but to test the genuineness of your love
by your concern for others.
For you know the gracious act of our Lord Jesus Christ,
that for your sake he became poor although he was rich,
so that by his poverty you might become rich.


Jesus though he was Son of God emptied himself for our sake and was born in poverty and hardship. He is the model for all who put their faith in him. We are to be guided by love for him and for all those for whom he died and this is especially for those who have also put their trust in him. This love must show itself in our generosity towards others not only in giving our money but also our time and energy and in any way we can be of assistance to ‘the holy ones’ – those sanctified by the Holy Spirit in Baptism.


Responsorial Psalm

R. (1b) Praise the Lord, my soul!
or:
R. Alleluia.
Praise the LORD, my soul!
I will praise the LORD all my life;
I will sing praise to my God while I live.



Gospel

Jesus said to his disciples:
“You have heard that it was said,
You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.
But I say to you, love your enemies
and pray for those who persecute you,
that you may be children of your heavenly Father,
for he makes his sun rise on the bad and the good,
and causes rain to fall on the just and the unjust.
For if you love those who love you, what recompense will you have?
Do not the tax collectors do the same?
And if you greet your brothers only,
what is unusual about that?
Do not the pagans do the same?
So be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect.”


Those who believe in Jesus are not just children of God in name. they are begotten by the Holy Spirit and receive a share in the divine life of God. We are truly the children of God and can rightly call God, “abba”, “daddy”. We are so close to him. Out Father is the standard against which we are to live and judge our life. His children are to have his mentality. He treats everyone the same and shows his rain on good and bad alike. We are to do the same. Don’t let us judge ourselves simply according to the Ten Commandments but Jesus has shown us how the Father is when translated into human terms. As Jesus is so are we to be. We are to cultivate his characteristics and live by his values. This is to be a child of God and to be a Christian.

June 13, 2011
Memorial of Saint Anthony of Padua,
priest and doctor of the Church

Reading 1
2 Cor 6:1-10
Brothers and sisters:
As your fellow workers, we appeal to you
not to receive the grace of God in vain.
For he says:
In an acceptable time I heard you,
and on the day of salvation I helped you.
Behold, now is a very acceptable time;
behold, now is the day of salvation.
We cause no one to stumble in anything,
in order that no fault may be found with our ministry;
on the contrary, in everything we commend ourselves
as ministers of God, through much endurance,
in afflictions, hardships, constraints,
beatings, imprisonments, riots,
labors, vigils, fasts;
by purity, knowledge, patience, kindness,
in the Holy Spirit, in unfeigned love, in truthful speech,
in the power of God;
with weapons of righteousness at the right and at the left;
through glory and dishonor, insult and praise.
We are treated as deceivers and yet are truthful;
as unrecognized and yet acknowledged;
as dying and behold we live;
as chastised and yet not put to death;
as sorrowful yet always rejoicing;
as poor yet enriching many;
as having nothing and yet possessing all things.

Saints are revered after their deaths. Very often during their lifetime they suffer a great deal even from their brothers and sisters in the faith. This is what happened to Paul. He was greatly misunderstood and opposed, particularly by those were in favour of Christians following he Law of Moses. What was the source of his strength and peace? It was his closeness to Jesus. His faith was not just notional. He experienced the closeness of Jesus.

Responsorial Psalm
R. (2a) The Lord has made known his salvation.
Sing to the LORD a new song,
for he has done wondrous deeds;
His right hand has won victory for him,
his holy arm.

Gospel
Jesus said to his disciples:
“You have heard that it was said,
An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth
.
But I say to you, offer no resistance to one who is evil.
When someone strikes you on your right cheek,
turn the other one to him as well.
If anyone wants to go to law with you over your tunic,
hand him your cloak as well.
Should anyone press you into service for one mile,
go with him for two miles.
Give to the one who asks of you,
and do not turn your back on one who wants to borrow.”

Who has followed Jesus in what he says today? He himself followed what he preached. He refused to resist those who came to arrest him in Gethsemane and refused also to ask his Father for angels to defend him. Rather like a sheep going to the shearer he went forward and allowed his enemies to do what they would. He trusted in God to vindicate him. Furthermore through his sufferings he saved the world. Few have followed Jesus in this. It takes greater courage to offer no resistance to the evil person than to violently resist.  On the political level even in the history of the Church we have followed ‘the eye for an eye’ rather than non-violent resistance. But who is right? Are the words of Jesus impractical or have we never even tried to follow them? Do you believe in love and non-violence towards enemies?

No comments:

Post a Comment