Sunday 19 June 2011

God's Word for the weekdays from 20th June

  Jesus said to him, “I will come and cure him.


Saturday of the Twelfth Week
in Ordinary Time


Reading 1
Gn 18:1-15
The LORD appeared to Abraham by the Terebinth of Mamre,
as Abraham sat in the entrance of his tent,
while the day was growing hot.
Looking up, he saw three men standing nearby.
When he saw them, he ran from the entrance of the tent to greet them;
and bowing to the ground, he said:
“Sir, if I may ask you this favor,
please do not go on past your servant.
Let some water be brought, that you may bathe your feet,
and then rest yourselves under the tree.
Now that you have come this close to your servant,
let me bring you a little food, that you may refresh yourselves;
and afterward you may go on your way.”
The men replied, “Very well, do as you have said.”

Abraham hastened into the tent and told Sarah,
“Quick, three measures of fine flour!
Knead it and make rolls.”
He ran to the herd, picked out a tender, choice steer,
and gave it to a servant, who quickly prepared it.
Then Abraham got some curds and milk,
as well as the steer that had been prepared,
and set these before them;
and he waited on them under the tree while they ate.

They asked him, “Where is your wife Sarah?”
He replied, “There in the tent.”
One of them said, “I will surely return to you about this time next year,
and Sarah will then have a son.”
Sarah was listening at the entrance of the tent, just behind him.
Now Abraham and Sarah were old, advanced in years,
and Sarah had stopped having her womanly periods.
So Sarah laughed to herself and said,
“Now that I am so withered and my husband is so old,
am I still to have sexual pleasure?”
But the LORD said to Abraham: “Why did Sarah laugh and say,
‘Shall I really bear a child, old as I am?’
Is anything too marvelous for the LORD to do?
At the appointed time, about this time next year, I will return to you,
and Sarah will have a son.”
Because she was afraid, Sarah dissembled, saying, “I didn’t laugh.”
But he replied, “Yes you did.”


A theme running through Salvation History is how God brings life out that which is humanly ‘dead’. Here both Abraham and Sarah are as good as dead but God brings new life from them in the form of their son Isaac. Others too in the Old Testament will give birth to a prophet even when they are barren and incapable of having children. Elizabeth in the New Testament will both barren and old. Then God will bring forth Life itself from the Virgin Mary. God is faithful to his promises and there is nothing impossible for him 

Responsorial Psalm
R. (see 54b) The Lord has remembered his mercy.
“My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.”

Gospel
When Jesus entered Capernaum,
a centurion approached him and appealed to him, saying,
“Lord, my servant is lying at home paralyzed, suffering dreadfully.”
He said to him, “I will come and cure him.”
The centurion said in reply,
“Lord, I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof;
only say the word and my servant will be healed.
For I too am a man subject to authority,
with soldiers subject to me.
And I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes;
and to another, ‘Come here,’ and he comes;
and to my slave, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”
When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him,
“Amen, I say to you, in no one in Israel have I found such faith.
I say to you, many will come from the east and the west,
and will recline with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob
at the banquet in the Kingdom of heaven,
but the children of the Kingdom
will be driven out into the outer darkness,
where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.”
And Jesus said to the centurion,
“You may go; as you have believed, let it be done for you.”
And at that very hour his servant was healed.
Jesus entered the house of Peter,
and saw his mother-in-law lying in bed with a fever.
He touched her hand, the fever left her,
and she rose and waited on him.
When it was evening, they brought him many
who were possessed by demons,
and he drove out the spirits by a word and cured all the sick,
to fulfill what had been said by Isaiah the prophet:
He took away our infirmities
and bore our diseases.


 Jesus is alive and doesn’t have to physically touch you to heal you. But he wants to heal you. Jesus is astonished at the centurion’s faith. Healing is not magical or like popping a pill into one’s mouth. It depends on our relationship with Jesus. Do I approach Jesus with the trust that removes barriers? We are human beings. We are totally dependent on God for everything from physical life and health to eternal happiness with him. To live this consciously is to be faithful to our nature. God’s nature is to give life and everything we have. This gentile centurion recognised who he was and who Jesus was and calls him ‘Lord’. It is only when I approach Jesus as he did, that I can enter into a living relationship with Jesus. Is your faith a faith that brings you to the Risen Jesus? Then you will live.
June 24, 2011
Solemnity of the Nativity of Saint John
the Baptist Mass during the Day



Reading 1
Is 49:1-6
Hear me, O coastlands,
listen, O distant peoples.
The LORD called me from birth,
from my mother’s womb he gave me my name.
He made of me a sharp-edged sword
and concealed me in the shadow of his arm.
He made me a polished arrow,
in his quiver he hid me.
You are my servant, he said to me,
Israel, through whom I show my glory.

Though I thought I had toiled in vain,
and for nothing, uselessly, spent my strength,
yet my reward is with the LORD,
my recompense is with my God.
For now the LORD has spoken
who formed me as his servant from the womb,
that Jacob may be brought back to him
and Israel gathered to him;
and I am made glorious in the sight of the LORD,
and my God is now my strength!
It is too little, he says, for you to be my servant,
to raise up the tribes of Jacob,
and restore the survivors of Israel;
I will make you a light to the nations,
that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth.

.
This first applied to the exiles in Babylon. It was a hymn of thanksgiving for being chosen by God. The apostles saw it as applying to Jesus who is the Servant of Yahweh and who is the light of the gentiles and has been given the name which is above all names (Phil 2:6-11). Today we see it also fulfilled in John who was, Jesus said, the greatest [ersn ever born of a woman. He was specially chosen to announce and proclaim the Messiah. But the least in the Kingdom of heaven is greater than he. In this way we too are called to be the witnesses of Jesus, the Messiah. We witness through the quality of our lives lived in accordance with the values proclaimed by Jesus.


Responsorial Psalm

R. (14) I praise you, for I am wonderfully made.
O LORD, you have probed me, you know me:
you know when I sit and when I stand;
you understand my thoughts from afar.
My journeys and my rest you scrutinize,
with all my ways you are familiar.



Reading II
In those days, Paul said:
“God raised up David as king;
of him God testified,
I have found David, son of Jesse, a man after my own heart;
he will carry out my every wish.
From this man’s descendants God, according to his promise,
has brought to Israel a savior, Jesus.
John heralded his coming by proclaiming a baptism of repentance
to all the people of Israel;
and as John was completing his course, he would say,
‘What do you suppose that I am? I am not he.
Behold, one is coming after me;
I am not worthy to unfasten the sandals of his feet.’

“My brothers, sons of the family of Abraham,
and those others among you who are God-fearing,
to us this word of salvation has been sent.”


John’s greatness is that he recognized Jesus and proclaimed him as Messiah, the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. Our greatness too will lie in doing the same to our generation. We do it by living a steadfast faith filled life in Christ Jesus.


Gospel

When the time arrived for Elizabeth to have her child
she gave birth to a son.
Her neighbors and relatives heard
that the Lord had shown his great mercy toward her,
and they rejoiced with her.
When they came on the eighth day to circumcise the child,
they were going to call him Zechariah after his father,
but his mother said in reply,
“No. He will be called John.”
But they answered her,
“There is no one among your relatives who has this name.”
So they made signs, asking his father what he wished him to be called.
He asked for a tablet and wrote, “John is his name,”
and all were amazed.
Immediately his mouth was opened, his tongue freed,
and he spoke blessing God.
Then fear came upon all their neighbors,
and all these matters were discussed
throughout the hill country of Judea.
All who heard these things took them to heart, saying,
“What, then, will this child be?”
For surely the hand of the Lord was with him.
The child grew and became strong in spirit,
and he was in the desert until the day
of his manifestation to Israel.


The neighbours wanted to call the child Zechariah to follow in his father’s footsteps. They forgot that God has a unique vision for everyone. We are the image of God and each is called to manifest an aspect of God. Life is to discover his vision and become the person he desires. Only then can we truly glorify him. We are not to become a copy of our parents or of anyone. We each have our own beauty. Elizabeth and Zechariah realised that he was God’s gift to them and the world. They understood their role. They would help him flower into John the Baptist, not another Zechariah. In their love he grew and was strong in the spirit. He spent his time listening till it was clear what God wanted him to do. Do we teach our children to listen to God speaking in their hearts?

June 23, 2011
Thursday of the Twelfth Week in Ordinary Time

Reading 1
Gn 16:1-12, 15-16 or 16:6b-12, 15-16
Abram’s wife Sarai had borne him no children.
She had, however, an Egyptian maidservant named Hagar.
Sarai said to Abram:
“The LORD has kept me from bearing children.
Have intercourse, then, with my maid;
perhaps I shall have sons through her.”
Abram heeded Sarai’s request.
Thus, after Abram had lived ten years in the land of Canaan,
his wife Sarai took her maid, Hagar the Egyptian,
and gave her to her husband Abram to be his concubine.
He had intercourse with her, and she became pregnant.
When she became aware of her pregnancy,
she looked on her mistress with disdain.
So Sarai said to Abram:
“You are responsible for this outrage against me.
I myself gave my maid to your embrace;
but ever since she became aware of her pregnancy,
she has been looking on me with disdain.
May the LORD decide between you and me!”
Abram told Sarai: “Your maid is in your power.
Do to her whatever you please.”
Sarai then abused her so much that Hagar ran away from her.
The LORD’s messenger found her by a spring in the wilderness,
the spring on the road to Shur, and he asked,
“Hagar, maid of Sarai, where have you come from
and where are you going?”
She answered, “I am running away from my mistress, Sarai.”
But the LORD’s messenger told her:
“Go back to your mistress and submit to her abusive treatment.
I will make your descendants so numerous,” added the LORD’s messenger,
“that they will be too many to count.
Besides,” the LORD’s messenger said to her:
“You are now pregnant and shall bear a son;
you shall name him Ishmael,
For the LORD has heard you,
God has answered you.
This one shall be a wild ass of a man,
his hand against everyone,
and everyone’s hand against him;
In opposition to all his kin
shall he encamp.”
Hagar bore Abram a son,
and Abram named the son whom Hagar bore him Ishmael.
Abram was eighty-six years old when Hagar bore him Ishmael.

Abram lived almost two thousand years before Christ. Jesus brought the morality of the O.T. to its fulfillment. We cannot judge Abram with the standards of the New Testament. There was growth in moral understanding too. However the fact that Abraham went to his slave girl would seem to be a defect after God had promised him that he would have a child and an offspring which would be as numerous as the sands of the sea shore. On the other hand Abram may well have thought that this was the way God’s Word would be fulfilled. In face of the silence of God Abram solves the problem according to his as yet undeveloped moral feelings.


Responsorial Psalm

R. (1b) Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good.
or:
R. Alleluia.
Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good,
for his mercy endures forever.
Who can tell the mighty deeds of the LORD,
or proclaim all his praises?



Gospel

Jesus said to his disciples:
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’
will enter the Kingdom of heaven,
but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven.
Many will say to me on that day,
‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name?
Did we not drive out demons in your name?
Did we not do mighty deeds in your name?’
Then I will declare to them solemnly,
‘I never knew you. Depart from me, you evildoers.’

“Everyone who listens to these words of mine and acts on them
will be like a wise man who built his house on rock.
The rain fell, the floods came,
and the winds blew and buffeted the house.
But it did not collapse; it had been set solidly on rock.
And everyone who listens to these words of mine
but does not act on them
will be like a fool who built his house on sand.
The rain fell, the floods came,
and the winds blew and buffeted the house.
And it collapsed and was completely ruined.”

When Jesus finished these words,
the crowds were astonished at his teaching,
for he taught them as one having authority,
and not as their scribes.

To work miracles and perform wonders in the Church is not an infallible sign of holiness. True signs of holiness are to reveal the fruits of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit – love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, humility, goodness and self-control and the gifts of the Spirit – wisdom, understanding, counsel, knowledge, fortitude, piety and fear of the Lord. We do earn salvation by our good works or keeping the Commandments. Rather when we embrace the Word of God we receive the Holy Spirit and the Holy Spirit is the cause of our doing good works and keeping the Commandments. The strength of the believer comes from union with the Lord Jesus. Belief does prevent temptation, trials, difficulties and tragedies. However constant union with Jesus through prayer will assure that we persevere to the end. Is your prayer a union with Christ or a saying of formulas?

June 22, 2011
Wednesday of the Twelfth Week
in Ordinary Time

Reading 1
Gn 15:1-12, 17-18
The word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision:
“Fear not, Abram!
I am your shield;
I will make your reward very great.”

But Abram said,
“O Lord GOD, what good will your gifts be,
if I keep on being childless
and have as my heir the steward of my house, Eliezer?”
Abram continued,
“See, you have given me no offspring,
and so one of my servants will be my heir.”
Then the word of the LORD came to him:
“No, that one shall not be your heir;
your own issue shall be your heir.”
He took him outside and said:
“Look up at the sky and count the stars, if you can.
Just so,” he added, “shall your descendants be.”
Abram put his faith in the LORD,
who credited it to him as an act of righteousness.

He then said to him,
“I am the LORD who brought you from Ur of the Chaldeans
to give you this land as a possession.”
“O Lord GOD,” he asked,
“how am I to know that I shall possess it?”
He answered him,
“Bring me a three-year-old heifer, a three-year-old she-goat,
a three-year-old ram, a turtledove, and a young pigeon.”
Abram brought him all these, split them in two,
and placed each half opposite the other;
but the birds he did not cut up.
Birds of prey swooped down on the carcasses,
but Abram stayed with them.
As the sun was about to set, a trance fell upon Abram,
and a deep, terrifying darkness enveloped him.

When the sun had set and it was dark,
there appeared a smoking fire pot and a flaming torch,
which passed between those pieces.
It was on that occasion that the LORD made a covenant with Abram,
saying: “To your descendants I give this land,
from the Wadi of Egypt to the Great River the Euphrates.”

Abraham was as good as dead (according to St. Paul in Romans 4:19) and he was childless and yet he could believe in God’s love and faithfulness and the promise he received in today’s reading. He became the father of all believers. God’s love for us too is faithful and eternal


Responsorial Psalm

R. (8a) The Lord remembers his covenant for ever.
or:
R. Alleluia.
Give thanks to the LORD, invoke his name;
make known among the nations his deeds.
Sing to him, sing his praise,
proclaim all his wondrous deeds.



Gospel

Jesus said to his disciples:
“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing,
but underneath are ravenous wolves.
By their fruits you will know them.
Do people pick grapes from thorn bushes, or figs from thistles?
Just so, every good tree bears good fruit,
and a rotten tree bears bad fruit.
A good tree cannot bear bad fruit,
nor can a rotten tree bear good fruit.
Every tree that does not bear good fruit will be cut down
and thrown into the fire.

So by their fruits you will know them.”



A prophet speaks in the name of the Lord (Deut.13:1). How do we know whether someone is a true or false prophet? Jesus says, ‘by their life’. The true prophet lives a Spirit filled life. He will be poor in spirit, meek and merciful, he will hunger and thirst for righteousness, be pure in heart and a peacemaker and will rejoice when he suffers for the sake of Jesus. He will strive to become perfect just as our heavenly Father is perfect. St. Paul gives a list of the fruits of the indwelling Spirit. The prophet will manifest love, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  Like grapes from the vine these are the fruits of the Spirit living within us. Jesus is the vine and we are the branches. Does the Spirit live in you and show his presence by his fruits in your life?


June 21, 2011
Memorial of Saint Aloysius Gonzaga, religious
Tuesday of the 12th Week in Ordinary Time

Reading 1
Gn 13:2, 5-18
Abram was very rich in livestock, silver, and gold.
Lot, who went with Abram, also had flocks and herds and tents,
so that the land could not support them if they stayed together;
their possessions were so great that they could not dwell together.
There were quarrels between the herdsmen of Abram’s livestock
and those of Lot’s.
(At this time the Canaanites and the Perizzites
were occupying the land.)

So Abram said to Lot:
“Let there be no strife between you and me,
or between your herdsmen and mine, for we are kinsmen.
Is not the whole land at your disposal?
Please separate from me.
If you prefer the left, I will go to the right;
if you prefer the right, I will go to the left.”
Lot looked about and saw how well watered
the whole Jordan Plain was as far as Zoar,
like the LORD’s own garden, or like Egypt.
(This was before the LORD had destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah.)
Lot, therefore, chose for himself the whole Jordan Plain
and set out eastward.
Thus they separated from each other;
Abram stayed in the land of Canaan,
while Lot settled among the cities of the Plain,
pitching his tents near Sodom.
Now the inhabitants of Sodom were very wicked
in the sins they committed against the LORD.

After Lot had left, the LORD said to Abram:
“Look about you, and from where you are,
gaze to the north and south, east and west;
all the land that you see I will give to you
and your descendants forever.
I will make your descendants like the dust of the earth;
if anyone could count the dust of the earth,
your descendants too might be counted.
Set forth and walk about in the land, through its length and breadth,
for to you I will give it.”
Abram moved his tents and went on to settle
near the terebinth of Mamre, which is at Hebron.
There he built an altar to the LORD.


The Old Testament looks towards Christ the Lord. Everything is given meaning in the O.T. because in it God is preparing for the coming of his Son. Jesus will be the Son of Abraham. Abraham is exemplary in his faith in God’s goodness and his obedience to his Word. God gives him the Promise which will be fulfilled in Christ and in which all those who believe in Christ will share. For us the Promised Land is not something of this world but life in the Family of God for ever in the next.


Responsorial Psalm

R. (1b) He who does justice will live in the presence of the Lord.
He who walks blamelessly and does justice;
who thinks the truth in his heart
and slanders not with his tongue.



Gospel

Jesus said to his disciples:
“Do not give what is holy to dogs, or throw your pearls before swine,
lest they trample them underfoot, and turn and tear you to pieces.

“Do to others whatever you would have them do to you.
This is the Law and the Prophets.

“Enter through the narrow gate;
for the gate is wide and the road broad that leads to destruction,
and those who enter through it are many.
How narrow the gate and constricted the road that leads to life.
And those who find it are few.”


Enter through the narrow gate. Jesus himself is the gate and the way. To come to know Jesus, to commit oneself to him in love this is to enter in through the narrow it. While we live in faith and not in vision to commit ourselves to Jesus is to renounce everything that is opposed to him and that includes our own wayward inclinations and deceptive temptations to sin. This is hard and followed by few. Most indulge their own desires. This is the broad and easy rod but in the end it leads to destruction. Jesus tells us too to do to others what we would like them to do to us. Following this would solve many moral questions. It is the road to social peace.
June 20, 2011Monday of the Twelfth Week
in Ordinary Time


Reading 1
Gn 12:1-9
The LORD said to Abram:
“Go forth from the land of your kinsfolk
and from your father’s house to a land that I will show you.
“I will make of you a great nation,
and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
so that you will be a blessing.
I will bless those who bless you
and curse those who curse you.
All the communities of the earth
shall find blessing in you.”
Abram went as the LORD directed him, and Lot went with him.
Abram was seventy-five years old when he left Haran.
Abram took his wife, Sarai, his brother’s son Lot,
all the possessions that they had accumulated,
and the persons they had acquired in Haran,
and they set out for the land of Canaan.
When they came to the land of Canaan, Abram passed through the land
as far as the sacred place at Shechem,
by the terebinth of Moreh.
(The Canaanites were then in the land.)
The LORD appeared to Abram and said,
“To your descendants I will give this land.”
So Abram built an altar there to the LORD who had appeared to him.
From there he moved on to the hill country east of Bethel,
pitching his tent with Bethel to the west and Ai to the east.
He built an altar there to the LORD and invoked the LORD by name.
Then Abram journeyed on by stages to the Negeb.


History begins with Abraham although these are traditions handed on orally for hundreds of years. Abraham is the one who listens to God. God speaks to everyone if only they would listen. Abraham sets out for an unknown country. So does each of us have to set out as we listen to the Lord speaking in the depths of our hearts. God promises us far more than the land of Canaan. He promises life in the family of the Trinity. We are on a journey home and his inspirations will guide us on our way.


33:12-13, 18-19, 20 and 22
Responsorial Psalm
R. (12) Blessed the people the Lord has chosen to be his own.
Blessed the nation whose God is the LORD,
the people he has chosen for his own inheritance.
From heaven the LORD looks down;
he sees all mankind.

Gospel
Jesus said to his disciples:
“Stop judging, that you may not be judged.
For as you judge, so will you be judged,
and the measure with which you measure will be measured out to you.
Why do you notice the splinter in your brother’s eye,
but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye?
How can you say to your brother,
‘Let me remove that splinter from your eye,’
while the wooden beam is in your eye?
You hypocrite, remove the wooden beam from your eye first;
then you will see clearly
to remove the splinter from your brother’s eye.”

Jesus forbids us judge people not issues. God alone can read our hearts and so our guilt or innocence. We can and often are called upon to judge what we see. Behaviour is acceptable or not, in line with the Word of God or not. We can see this and often need to judge it. Have I the courage to tell someone when their behaviour is wrong? Am I aware of my prejudices?  Do I speak ‘the truth’ regardless of the pain my words inflict or do I speak with kindness and understanding? Do I love the person whose behaviour I may abhor? Do I long for his/her welfare? Do I consider myself superior? Do I really try to understand the other, to see their point of view? None of us can see ourselves. Have I the humility and strength to listen to what others see in me?

No comments:

Post a Comment