Monday 10 August 2020

The humblest is the Greatest

Welcome to my blog and peace be with you.

You will find here daily readings from the Bible and a prayerful reflection on them. Through the daily reading and reflection on the Word of God we grow as human beings.

All human beings have spiritual longings. The Word of God satisfies them.

May you experience the joy intended for you by God.

 

Tuesday 11 August 2020

 

Prayer

Draw near to your servants, O Lord,

and answer their prayers with unceasing kindness,

that, for those who glory in you as their Creator and guide,

you may restore what you have created

and keep safe what you have restored.

Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,

who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,

one God, for ever and ever.

 

 

 

First reading

Ezekiel 2:8-3:4 ·

He gave me the scroll to eat and it was as sweet as honey

I, Ezekiel, heard a voice speaking. It said, ‘You, son of man, listen to the words I say; do not be a rebel like that rebellious set. Open your mouth and eat what I am about to give you.’ I looked. A hand was there, stretching out to me and holding a scroll. He unrolled it in front of me; it was written on back and front; on it was written ‘lamentations, wailings, moanings.’ He said, ‘Son of man, eat what is given to you; eat this scroll, then go and speak to the House of Israel.’ I opened my mouth; he gave me the scroll to eat and said, ‘Son of man, feed and be satisfied by the scroll I am giving you.’ I ate it, and it tasted sweet as honey.

Then he said, ‘Son of man, go to the House of Israel and tell them what I have said.’ THE WORD OF THE LORD

Prayerful reflection

A prophet speaks on behalf of God. Ezekiel has been chosen to preach to the Jews while in exile in Babylon. In order to proclaim God’s Word, he must hear it and  devour it, then God will speak through him. The Word of was sweet. Listening to God speaking is s joy.

 

 

 

Responsorial Psalm

Psalm 118(119):14,24,72,103,111,131

Your promise is sweet to my taste, O Lord.

I rejoiced to do your will

as though all riches were mine.

Your will is my delight;

your statutes are my counsellors.

Your promise is sweet to my taste, O Lord.

The law from your mouth means more to me

than silver and gold.

Your promise is sweeter to my taste

than honey in the mouth.

Your promise is sweet to my taste, O Lord.

Your will is my heritage for ever,

the joy of my heart.

I open my mouth and I sigh

as I yearn for your commands.

Your promise is sweet to my taste, O Lord.

 

____________________

 

Mt11:29

Alleluia, alleluia!

Shoulder my yoke and learn from me,

says the Lord,

for I am gentle and humble in heart.

Alleluia!

 

____________________

 

Gospel

Matthew 18:1-5,10,12-14

Anyone who welcomes a little child in my name welcomes me

The disciples came to Jesus and said, ‘Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?’ So he called a little child to him and set the child in front of them. Then he said, ‘I tell you solemnly, unless you change and become like little children you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. And so, the one who makes himself as little as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

‘Anyone who welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me.

‘See that you never despise any of these little ones, for I tell you that their angels in heaven are continually in the presence of my Father in heaven.

‘Tell me. Suppose a man has a hundred sheep and one of them strays; will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hillside and go in search of the stray? I tell you solemnly, if he finds it, it gives him more joy than do the ninety-nine that did not stray at all. Similarly, it is never the will of your Father in heaven that one of these little ones should be lost.’ THE GOSPEL OF THE LORD

Prayerful reflection

The chapter is about how life should be in the Church. The humblest one is the greatest one. Everything we have and are is God’s gift to us. In ourselves we are nothing. The one who realises this will be humble. Jesus, though God, emptied himself of divine prerogatives and was born as a slave. Mary, his Mother, realised that God had looked on her nothingness and done great things for her. She is the greatest of all the disciples.

Everyone is the Church community is precious to God. Not one should be lost. Pastors are to go in search of the sheep that has wandered astray. The true pastor cannot say, ‘Oh well, they have gone and I will look after the ones who remain.’

HW

Jn 14: 21, 23

Whoever loves me will be loved by my Father,

and I will come to him and reveal myself to him.

 

Prayer

Accompany with constant protection, O Lord,

those you renew with these heavenly gifts

and, in your never-failing care for them,

make them worthy of eternal redemption.

Through Christ our Lord.

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment