Sunday 27 September 2020

The humblest is the greatest

 

Welcome to my blog. Peace be with you.

In today’s reading, the Lord tells us that if we realise the truth about ourselves then we will become great people.

Monday 28 September 2020

The humblest is the greatest

 Gospel

Luke 9:46-50

The least among you all is the greatest

An argument started between the disciples about which of them was the greatest. Jesus knew what thoughts were going through their minds, and he took a little child and set him by his side and then said to them, ‘Anyone who welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me; and anyone who welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. For the least among you all, that is the one who is great.’

John spoke up. ‘Master,’ he said ‘we saw a man casting out devils in your name, and because he is not with us we tried to stop him.’ But Jesus said to him, ‘You must not stop him: anyone who is not against you is for you.’ THE GOSPEL OF THE LORD

 

Prayerful reflection

Let us never forget our roots. They go back to the soil in the Garden of Eden. That is what I really am. The rest is all the gift of Jesus, Son of God, and Creator. If I realise this, I will never claim to be anything more. Why have I been created? It is to be the living image of the God who created me. Who is God? He is great, as some say. He is the mighty God as others say. This is true, but when he became a man, he emptied himself of all divine prerogatives and became a slave pouring himself out in love for his fellow human beings. So, if I am to be his living image, then I must do the same. I am born to serve and give my life for the salvation of others. This is to be a true human being, the living image of God who became a man.

Understand this and you will never claim to be greater than anyone. Like Jesus, model for all human beings, you will get down on your knees and wash their feet.

As Jesus loves every human being to the point of giving his life on the Cross, then by loving those he so loves, I love him by proxy. He takes it as done to himself.

The Son of God, Jesus, is not bound by our rules. His Spirit is everywhere in the world. Many do not receive him. But some do. Very unlikely people may receive the Spirit of Jesus. We should rejoice to see the Holy Spirit active in people who do not belong to the Catholic Church.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment