Tuesday 3 November 2020

Welcome Jesus and you will have no regrets

 

Welcome to my blog. Peace be with you.

In today’s readings we see the amazing humility of God and how he respects human beings. He humbles himself and becomes their servant. We are to become like him.

Through the Gospel, we must ask ourselves whether we understand the wonder of God’s call. How do I respond to God’s invitation to share in his glory?

Tuesday 3 November 2020

Welcome Jesus and you will have no regrets

 

First reading

Philippians 2:5-11 ·

Christ humbled himself but God raised him high

In your minds you must be the same as Christ Jesus:

His state was divine,

[my state is of nothingness, of clay fashioned as a man into which God breathed the breath of life. I have nothing to boast about. Therefore I should not consider myself great by myself].

yet he did not cling

to his equality with God

but emptied himself

to assume the condition of a slave,

[the self-effacing humility of God. I should be self-effacing like him and put myself at the service of others].

and became as men are;

and being as all men are,

he was humbler yet,

[he became a slave to save us from eternal death. Such was his love for us. He humbly obeyed his Father, even at the cost of his Passion and Death].

even to accepting death,

death on a cross.

But God raised him high

and gave him the name

which is above all other names

so that all beings in the heavens,

on earth and in the underworld,

should bend the knee at the name of Jesus

and that every tongue should acclaim

Jesus Christ as Lord,

to the glory of God the Father.

[now as man, Jesus is raised to the level of God equal in every way and before whom we must bow in adoration].

 

Gospel

Luke 14:15-24

'Not one of those who were invited shall have a taste of my banquet'

1.      One of those gathered round the table said to Jesus,

2.      ‘Happy the man who will be at the feast in the kingdom of God!’

3.      But he said to him, ‘There was a man who gave a great banquet, and he invited a large number of people.

4.      When the time for the banquet came, he sent his servant to say to those who had been invited, “Come along: everything is ready now.”

5.      But all alike started to make excuses. The first said, “I have bought a piece of land and must go and see it. Please accept my apologies.” Another said, “I have bought five yoke of oxen and am on my way to try them out. Please accept my apologies.” Yet another said, “I have just got married and so am unable to come.”

6.      ‘The servant returned and reported this to his master.

7.      Then the householder, in a rage, said to his servant, “Go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the town and bring in here the poor, the crippled, the blind and the lame.”

8.      “Sir” said the servant “your orders have been carried out and there is still room.”

9.      Then the master said to his servant, “Go to the open roads and the hedgerows and force people to come in to make sure my house is full;

10.  because, I tell you, not one of those who were invited shall have a taste of my banquet.”’

 

Prayerful reflection

It is certainly true that the one who will be at the feast in the Kingdom of heaven is blessed. God in his mercy and goodness has invited you and me. In fact, God invites everyone in the whole world. ‘Come to my banquet.’

Then why is it that most people are not interested? So many make lame excuses as the people in the parable. ‘I’m busy’. ‘I’ll think about it later’. How many excuses we give for not turning to God now with all our hearts!

Is it because as Jesus said on the Cross, ‘Father they do not know what they are doing?’ One day they will and regret their negligence. Let us pray that we have the wisdom to realise the immense privilege that has been offered us in the call of Jesus. May we answer it with all  our hearts.

Each person must make their own response. Let each of us welcome Jesus into our hearts and lives. Make Jesus the centre of your life. Build up a personal relationship with him in love.

Jesus is real. He stands at the door of your heart. Welcome him into your life and he will welcome you into God’s kingdom.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment