Monday 9 November 2020

You are merely servants

 

 

Welcome to my blog. Peace be with you.

Created from nothing, purely at the discretion of God, do I have any rights before him. I must be thankful for everything I am or have. When I have done everything, he wants me to do, I am still, at best, nothing more than his servant.

Tuesday 10 November 2020

 

Gospel

Luke 17:7-10

You are merely servants

Jesus said to his disciples:

1.      ‘Which of you, with a servant ploughing or minding sheep, would say to him when he returned from the fields, “Come and have your meal immediately”?

2.      Would he not be more likely to say, “Get my supper laid; make yourself tidy and wait on me while I eat and drink.

3.      You can eat and drink yourself afterwards”?

4.      Must he be grateful to the servant for doing what he was told?

5.      So with you: when you have done all you have been told to do, say, “We are merely servants: we have done no more than our duty.”’

 

Prayerful reflection

Created out of nothing, what demands can I make of the One who created me? I should be grateful for what he has already done for me even if I am no more than a bird in a tree. And if he decides to forget me, have I a right to clench my fist in his face. What he allows to happen, is entirely up to him.

Why did he make me in the first place? I don’t know unless he tells me. To exist is something great, however limited. I must just be grateful to him.

Did he make me for my benefit or for his benefit? Did he make me so that he can use me for his work or so that I could enjoy existence? That is up to him. I am in his hands. ‘I am grateful for giving me the opportunity of existing. I am for you. do with me whatever you want to.’

 

Yet the truth is, he created me so that I could live in the bliss of perfect happiness with him. He wants me to become like him and live with him. This is because he loves the work of his hands and sees in me a refection of himself. I am somehow an extension of who he is. He looks at me and thinks – he is the work of my love. He is the image of myself. Though not me, he is in a sense so much part of me that I love him as I love myself.’

 

What is my response?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment