Saturday 3 October 2020

Produce choice grapes of love

 

Welcome to my blog. Peace be with you.

Today we hear the parable of the vineyard and the tenants. The parable had its original meaning, but it has a meaning for each of us today. In creating us, God also had a purpose. Each one is unique. God has a purpose for each of us. To have meaning in life, we must, at any cost, discover this purpose.

Sunday 4 October 2020

Produce choice grapes of love

 

Gospel

Matthew 21:33-43

This is the landlord's heir: come, let us kill him

1.      Jesus said to the chief priests and the elders of the people, ‘Listen to another parable.

2.      There was a man, a landowner, who planted a vineyard; he fenced it round, dug a winepress in it and built a tower;

3.      then he leased it to tenants and went abroad.

4.      When vintage time drew near he sent his servants to the tenants to collect his produce.

5.      But the tenants seized his servants, thrashed one, killed another and stoned a third.

6.      Next he sent some more servants, this time a larger number, and they dealt with them in the same way.

7.      Finally he sent his son to them. “They will respect my son” he said.

8.      But when the tenants saw the son, they said to each other, “This is the heir. Come on, let us kill him and take over his inheritance.” So they seized him and threw him out of the vineyard and killed him.

9.      Now when the owner of the vineyard comes, what will he do to those tenants?’

10.  They answered, ‘He will bring those wretches to a wretched end and lease the vineyard to other tenants who will deliver the produce to him when the season arrives.’

11.  Jesus said to them, ‘Have you never read in the scriptures:

12.  It was the stone rejected by the builders

that became the keystone.

This was the Lord’s doing

and it is wonderful to see?

13.  ‘I tell you, then, that the kingdom of God will be taken from you and given to a people who will produce its fruit.’

 

 

Homily

In India, in June farmers prepare their land. When the first rain comes, they sow their seeds. Why do they sow seeds? Obviously, they expect a crop. Farmers dream of a bumper crop. They work to get a crop. So, in today’s parable. The master plants a vineyard to get the fruits. He gives it on lease to get his share. He plants the best quality vines. What is the meaning of the parable for us? The Church is his vineyard. In the vineyard are excellent vines. I am one of them – an excellent vine. What are the grapes he looks for?

Then why did Jesus found the Church? What was he looking for? Why did God create YOU? Why did he call you into his Church? You did not choose me, but I chose you. (John 15:16). Why did he create you? Then why did he call you into his Church? These are the most important question in your life. I ask myself this question when I read this Gospel.

Matthew 23:37b How often I would have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her chicks under her wing. And you would not. The great mystery and the Good News for me is: he created me because he wants me. Unless I, unless you, understand this, you have missed the point of your life.

He didn’t just create me and leave to make my own life. he created me with a purpose. The banner over me was love, (S of S 2:4). Though God, he emptied himself of everything and came to my level. As a human being he can sit with me, talk with me. He can be my intimate friend. He did not only become a human being, but gave his life for me on the Cross. John 15:13 – no greater love can a man have, than to lay down his life for his friends. He did just that for me.

So why did he create me? What are the grapes he is looking for?

He only wants one thing of me. He wants me to love him with all my heart, soul and strength. He says, I will never leave you. I should say the say: Lord, I will never leave you. I want you only in life. I don’t want money, power or pleasure. I want you now.

Love is in my heart. No one can see it. I reveal it by my words, actions. First, by my prayer. Prayer is talking with the person I love. I will prayer every day and from my heart. Second by visiting him. I will come to Mass as often as I can. I will receive him in Holy Communion.

We cannot say we love Jesus, if we never pray, seldom share in the Holy Eucharist. Then I will listen to him and do his will. What is his will? To love my brothers and sisters as Jesus loves them.

This is the fruit that Jesus looks for in his vineyard, the Church and this is the fruit he looks for in each member, in you. Love Jesus with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength. Show this love for him, by praying, sharing in the Holy Eucharist, and receiving him with great love in Holy Communion. Then you will listen and obey. There can be no love without obeying his Word.

Do not produce sour grapes. The first chosen people produced sour grapes. Their city and their Temple was destroyed. Six hundred years later, the second Temple was also destroyed. Since that day they had no temple, no country. For two thousand years they wandered the earth, without land, holy city nor temple.

No, learn to love Jesus and give him your life. He will give you a hundred-fold in this life and the Kingdom of heaven in the life to come.

The choice is yours. As for me, I know in whom I have put my trust and my love.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment